Contest Rules for "Who is YOUR Canadian Heroine?"
Rules and Regulations
- Write the story of a Canadian heroine in the same style that Merna Forster did for 100 Canadian Heroines: Famous and Forgotten Faces. The heroine that you choose must be someone who is NOT included in the book. She will become the 101st Canadian heroine.
- The heroine you choose to write about must have been born in Canada, or have accomplished something significant in Canada and must be deceased.
- The essay you submit must be between 500 and 750 words (2 to 3 pages).
- The essay should be double-spaced and typed on a computer or written neatly by hand.
- Clearly state your name, age, and contact information, including address and telephone number, on the top right- hand corner of your submission.
- You must include a bibliography or works cited of all works consulted and used in your essay.
- Contest entries must be received by The Dundurn Group by 5:00 pm on April 30, 2005.
- The winner will be announced in June 2005.
- The first-place essay will be printed in the next edition of Merna Forster's book, on several websites, and possibly in other publications. The first-place winner will receive $300 worth of books from The Dundurn Group and $100 cash prize. Two runners-up will each receive $100 worth of books from The Dundurn Group.
- All winners must be between the age of 12 and 16.
- All contest entries become the property of The Dundurn Group. Furthermore, The Dundurn Group may withhold any contest materials crucial to the completion of the contest.
- Open to all residents of Canada (excluding Quebec).
- Additions or deletions to these rules may be made at the discretion of The Dundurn Group, and may be enacted at any time.
- Employees of The Dundurn Group, their affiliates, representatives, and their families or households are ineligible to enter/win.
- Winners must sign a release prior to receiving their prize.
- All contestants acknowledge, as a condition of entry, that The Dundurn Group has a right to publicize, or broadcast the winner's name, character, likeness, voice or all matters incidental herein.
- In the event that a winner chooses not to accept a prize, he or she forfeits all claim to that prize. The Dundurn Group then has the right, at its discretion, to award that prize to a contest runner-up.
- Any tie will be broken by random drawing from among the tied, qualified entries. The drawing will be conducted by The Dundurn Group, and the results of the drawing are final.
- The decision of The Dundurn Group is final. Winners will be notified by phone.
- The Dundurn Group may substitute another prize of equal value, in the event of non-availability of an announced prize.
- The Dundurn Group, its agencies, affiliates, sponsors or representatives absolve themselves of any liability, financial or otherwise, resulting from any contests staged by The Dundurn Group.
- Chances of winning are proportional to the number of eligible entries received.
- This contest is subject to all applicable Federal, Provincial, and Municipal laws and regulations. All decisions of the contest judging panel are final and the Dundurn Group shall not be held responsible for any errors or negligence that may arise or occur in connection with the contest.
- Prizes are non-transferable, non-exchangeable and have no cash surrender value. No substitutions will be made for the prizes except at the discretion of The Dundurn Group, which may substitute prizes of greater or comparable value. Prizes are expected to be delivered to the winners by mail about 4-6 weeks after confirmation.
- All entries become the propersty of The Dundurn Group upon receipt and will not be returned.
- The Dundurn Group reserves the right to withdraw, terminate or modify all or part of this contest by publishing a notice on The Dundurn Group's website if for any reasons the contest is not capable of running as planned, including technical failure or corruption, computer virus, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or any other cause beyond the control of The Dundurn Group, which in the opinion of The Dundurn Group affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this contest.
- The Dundurn Group or other contest sponsors are not responsible for any lost, late, damaged, destroyed or misdirected entries or for any faulty electronic data transmission, equipment failure or other communication problems occurring in connection with participation with this contest. Any questions or concerns should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attention: 100 Canadian Heroines Contest.